From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Power supply or motherboard dead?
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 03:26:25
1 On 19 Mar 2008, at 13:41, Grant wrote:
2
3 > A Gentoo desktop of mine won't turn on anymore. I was hoping it was
4 > the power supply but I've installed a new one which doesn't fix the
5 > problem. Is there a sure way to know if the motherboard needs
6 > replacement or if I have two dead power supplies?
7
8 Hi there,
9
10 I work on PCs for a living, mostly peoples' home computers, and in
11 the case of a "dead pc" the cause is nearly as often something else
12 as it is a dead PSU.
13
14 Causes such as a duff CD-ROM drive or a damaged USB connector are
15 surprising but not uncommon, so reset the BIOS (using the method
16 described by Volker) and if that doesn't work unplug as much as
17 possible from the motherboard - you'll surely need the CPU & RAM for
18 it to post, but you may wish to swap out the RAM at some point in
19 your diagnostics - and unplug most everything else. That means
20 drives, PCI cards, USB devices, stuff connected to the USB & serial
21 headers, graphics card if possible. Also don't connect the power
22 supply to any of the drives, or anything else that you're not
23 currently using.
24
25 I've seen cheap power supplies take out the motherboard when they go.
26 Sorry if you find that to be the case.
27
28 Stroller.
31 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list