From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Mounting a big drive for stuff - /mnt or /media
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2009 23:33:56
1 On 7 Aug 2009, at 00:01, walt wrote:
2 > ...
3 > Gnome, for example, automatically mounts removable media on /media.
4 > I don't know if that default can even be changed, and I never bothered
5 > to find out.
6 >
7 > ...
8 > If you plan to mount your data partition (or whatever) so that it will
9 > always be in exactly the same place, then you should create a new
10 > mount
11 > point of your own and mount your partition there using /etc/fstab.
12 >
13 > Where you put the new mount point depends on whether the filesystem is
14 > to be available to all users of the machine, or just you.
15
16 I perhaps should have mentioned that it's a headless server & that
17 this will just basically be a drive which is used for file-serving.
18
19 So no automount stuff goes near it.
20
21 I'm inclined to look at automounting USB disks, CFcard readers &
22 stuff, because sometimes it is handy to plug those into the machine
23 which serves as central file repository.
24
25 But right now I'm seeing no reason not to use my familiar /mnt/space
26 convention.
27
28 Stroller.