From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Fragmentation of my drives. Curious mostly
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 09:45:52
1 On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 11:19:47 +0200, Daniel Iliev wrote:
2
3 > Personally I think NTFS is one of the things MS have done right. It is
4 > fast, stable and has the features of the Linux FSes and even more. It
5 > has journal, quotas, permissions, mount points, symbolic links. Does
6 > any of ext, reiserfs or xfs have compression and/or encryption
7 > capabilities? I don't think so.
8
9 No, and nor should they. Each filesystem implementing its own encryption
10 layer would be a nightmare. A separate encryption layer on which you
11 create any filesystem you like is much more sensible.
15 Neil Bothwick
16
17 COBOL: (n.) an old computer language, designed to be read and not
18 run. Unfortunately, it is often run anyway.