From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] strange errors in http log, what can/should I do about it.
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 18:03:47
1 On 2/28/22 5:04 AM, Adam Carter wrote:
2 > If you put that url in a browser does it show your passwd file? I assume
3 > because the logs say 200 it will.  If so shut down the httpd and reset
4 > all the passwords
5
6 Note the question mark after the leading slash. As such, the path
7 traversal component is for a query parameter, named f / file / filename
8 / id.
9
10 There is a reasonable chance that the web server returned the index /
11 default page for the document root and that the query parameter didn't
12 actually change any thing.
13
14 With this in mind, it would be normal to return a 200 status code for
15 the index / default page for the document root.
16
17 > Check your httpd config… seems odd that an old attack like this would
18 > still work.
19
20 If this did return the actual contents of /etc/password then there is
21 quite likely a different problem in that the index / default page is
22 accepting query parameters as paths, independent of the HTTP daemon.
23
24 Aside: +1 to everything that Stefan S. said.
29 Grant. . . .
30 unix || die