From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] RAID6/ext4 for /?
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 21:20:43
1 On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 12:53 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Apparently, though unproven, at 18:41 on Friday 31 December 2010, Stroller did
3 > opine thusly:
4 >
5 >> On 31/12/2010, at 4:16pm, Mark Knecht wrote:
6 >> > I haven't seen much discussion of ext4. Are people using it?
7 >>
8 >> Yeah, it seems pretty good. Anecdotally it seems stable enough, I don't see
9 >> why it should be less so than ext3, now. Deletes are *much* faster than
10 >> with ext3.
11 >
12 > I get the same with ext4 on three machines:
13 >
14 > Latest Ubuntu on the Acer notebook
15 > This here gentoo notebook
16 > Android Donut on the phone
17 >
18 > Seems reliably enough - no problems yet after 1 full year. Nothing unusual
19 > about my usage except the notebook compiles stuff almost constantly, is always
20 > running three VMs at least and is hardly never switched off
21 >
22 > --
23 > alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
26 Thanks Alan. That's good info.
27
28 As this is intended to be more or less a duplicate of the existing
29 system on this box, just placed on a new RAID6, I've opted not to do
30 the disk copy as per the thread this week. No LiveCD, I just followed
31 the Gentoo install from within a terminal on this box. It's flying
32 along with nearly everything done expect the new kernel. The holdup
33 there will be figuring out what an initramfs really is and what really
34 needs to be included in it. I'm following this:
35
36 http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Initramfs
37
38 which is reasonable, We'll see how it goes.
39
40 I will say that the install on this 5-disk RAID6 running ext4 seems
41 speedy compared to the 3-disk RAID1 running ext3 that I'm currently
42 using. Probably I'm just imagining that...
43
44 Cheers,
45 Mark