From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] rsync to a USB stick
Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 09:10:03
1 Hi All,
2
3 I run:
4
5 rsync -a -l --delete -v /mnt/Business_dir /media/sdf1
6
7 to back up a directory from a PC to a USB stick. However, from a cursory look
8 this *seems* to copy the complete directory (every time I run it) and
9 overwrites the USB stick. Carrying on like this it will life-expire the USB
10 stick in no time, plus it takes ages to complete as it copies over every
11 single file again and again.
12
13 Is there a cleverer option I can add to rsync so that it only copies new
14 files, overwrites older versions of the same and only deletes any files or
15 directories that have been deleted from the source directory?
16 --
17 Regards,
18 Mick