From: Raphael MD <raphaxx@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Best approach to a home NAS server
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2021 00:04:34
1 Hello folks!
4 What could be the best approach to a small home server with a 20’s core
5 Xeon and 32GB of ram?
6
7 I'm thinking of serving a NAS, a virtual machine to record 2 cameras with
8 ZoneMider and a DB server/php.
9
10 Some configurations I'm guessing are described below.
11
12 1) Install FreeNAS, formatting my 3 disk in ZFS raid and setup all
13 stuff upon FreeNas using VirtualBox (1-Linux to ZoneMinder and 1-Linux to a
14 small host php/db server);
15
16 2) Install a FreeBSD ZFS using Xen and setup two guests, a Linux Guest
17 to ZoneMinder + DB/php and a FreeNas guest;
18
19 3) Install a Linux ZFS host, ZoneMinder and DB/php upon it and a
20 virtual machine for FreeNas;
21
22 4) Install a Linux ZFS, setup a NAS on Linux, and run a VirtualBox
23 machine to ZoneMinder and another small server.
24
25 Thanks!
28 M.S. Raphael Mejias Dias
29 Nuclear Engineer | Reactors