From: James Ausmus <james.ausmus@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Looong delays
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 20:28:01
1 On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 3:22 AM, Dirk Uys <dirkcuys@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Hi
4 >
5 > This has been bothering me for some time now. I have a Dell PC at work,
6 > Intel Core2 Duo with 4gb ram etc. Whenever something does a lot of disk
7 > access, the PC slows down to a halt? I remember some issue between Firefox
8 > and the kernel causing long pauses, but I've had several different kernel
9 > versions running.
10 >
11 > I also use the ntfs-3g driver for write access to a doze partition, but
12 > although the degradation in performance more severe with the ntfs-3g driver,
13 > access to the native (ext3) partition also drags the system down for a
14 > while.
15 >
16 > I checked obvious things like whether or not I enable SMP in the kernel. I
17 > tried changing the kernel pre-emption from low latency desktop to desktop,
18 > but the problem persist. The application that is mostly involved when I get
19 > these long delays is FireFox, VMWare and emerge (emerge --sync). Everything
20 > is compiled 64bit but I have the 32bit emulation libs.
21 >
22 > Can anyone point me into some direction?
26 A tool I've always found useful for determining IO hog processes is
27 sys-process/iotop
28
29 HTH-
30