From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] power button to shutdown for openrc?
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2019 16:53:29
1 On 13/11/19 08:55, Mick wrote:
2 > NOTE: I only press the power button momentarily. If I press and keep pressed
3 > the power button for a few seconds, then the system powers off instantly
4 > without a graceful shutdown (a.k.a. I then will get a hard shutdown with no
5 > disk syncing or flushing of caches).
6
7 This is a hardware feature. Now that so much stuff has been moved into
8 software, including control of the power switch!! (hence pressing it
9 triggers acpi and all that sort of stuff, and how you have wake-on-lan,
10 blah blah blah), you need some form of Big Red Switch, and that's it. No
11 matter how borked your system, holding the power button down is supposed
12 to be caught by firmware and kill the power after about five seconds.
13
14 Cheers,
15 Wol