From: Mark Kirkwood <markir@××××××××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Backups
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 23:19:59
1 Francesco Talamona wrote:
2 >
3 > First of all, thanks for sharing.
4 >
5 > I used to think xfs was overkill for /boot, but the procedure described
6 > is quite straightforward.
7 >
8 > There are two things I don't understand:
9 >
10 > 1) why do you delete xfsdump and xfsrestore in /xfsrestore/usr/bin/ just
11 > extracted to link them to /xfsrestore/sbin
12 >
13 > 2) the use of df.out isn't clear to me, isn't the dump file name enough
14 > to know what is in there?
17 1) The symlinks are broken if the package is extracted anywhere other
18 than /. I recreated 'em to point where they should (I recall they were
19 needed, as some of the ancillary programs break if they are missing or
20 broken).
21
22 2) The df.out is so you know that (say) usr.0.dmp should be restored to
23 a device called (say) /dev/sda6. This will avoid the need to edit
24 restored /etc/fstab (or the need to boot into single user mode and fix
25 it). the other point is if you are reusing the same disk setup (assuming
26 a software issue is requiring the restore), then checking df.out ensures
27 that you recover the system using the same partitions for the
28 filesystems as you had pre-restore.
29
30 Cheers
31
32 Mark
33
34 P.s: You are quite correct that xfs is overkill for /boot. However I
35 just found it easier to xfs everything (otherwise I'd have to use
36 different dump programs depending on what I was backing up etc... ). To
37 me this is more important than the fact that it wastes disk space a bit
38 (my /boot uses a 128M partition but only gets 93M to actually use...and
39 it uses 11M of that! - but disks are quite big now...)
40 --
41 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list