From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Help with rp-pppoe/adsl...
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 04:00:51
1 On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 23:27 -0400, dnebinger@××××.com wrote:
2 > First routing. When I try to define it as the default route using "route add
3 > -net 0.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.255 dev w1ad" (where w1ad is the device name),
4 > route reports "SIOCADDRT: No such device", which is odd because ifconfig shows
5 > it in the list.
6
7 firstly, to add a default route I use
8 # route add default gw <gateway-ip>
9 secondly, I think you have to make the _other_ end of the connection the
10 default route, not your end (ie, not your card, but the aDSL pppoe end)
11 There are pppoe tools to do this.
12
13 > Firewalling had no problems adjusting rules for the device, which again makes
14 > me question the route error above.
15
16 Did you try with a completely disabled firewall?
17
18 > But when I make a copy of net.eth0 to /etc/init.d/net.w1ad
19
20 you should symlink it, not make a copy. `ln -s`.
21
22 > and then try to
23 > start it it complains about not knowing how to start this type of interface;
24 > if it's not supported, why add comments to /etc/conf.d/net about it?
25
26 I think you need to make /etc/conf.d/net.w1ad to match.
27
28 > Any assistance that you can throw my way will be *greatly* appreciated.
29
30 I don't actually use pppoe, so I hope this helps you in some way.
31 --
32 Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list