From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSD discard / fstrim
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2014 08:38:40
1 On Thursday 04 September 2014 11:57:19 Joseph wrote:
2 > This is my first SSD drive 480GB (the only one in the box). I read about
3 > all discard / trim option and just want to double check that I'm doing it
4 > correct.
5 >
6 > I setup standard Gentoo and per instruction in Handbook.
7 > Not I'm reading about discard
8 > http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/SSD
9 >
10 > Do I setup: fstrim -v /
11 > or discard in fstab:
12 > /dev/sda2 /boot ext2 noauto,noatime 1 2
13 > /dev/sda4 / ext4
14 > defaults,relatime,discard 0 1 /dev/sda3 none
15 > swap sw,pri=3,discard 0 0
16 >
17 > Can I use them both?
18 > Do I need to add "discard" to /boot?
19
20 Another possibility is to use f2fs (flash-friendly file system) rather than
21 the usual Linux file-systems. Then trimming doesn't arise.
22
23 http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/jaegeuk/f2fs-tools.git;a=summary
24
25 I have it on a little LAN server here and it seems to work just fine. Fit and
26 forget.
29 Regards
30 Peter