From: Alexey Mishustin <shumkar@×××××××.ru>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: no cdrom (IDE)
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 18:50:06
1 6/27/2011, "walt" <w41ter@×××××.com> âû ïèñàëè:
2
3 >On 06/27/2011 09:28 AM, Alexey Mishustin wrote:
4 >>
5 >> Here is the output of my lspci -k:
6 >>
7 >> SATA IDE Controller #1
8 >> Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 82d4
9 >> Kernel driver in use: ata_piix
10 >> Kernel modules: ata_piix
11 >> SATA IDE Controller #2
12 >> Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 82d4
13 >> Kernel driver in use: ata_piix
14 >> Kernel modules: ata_piix
15 >>
16 >> If I understand well, dvd-player should be connected to one of the two
17 >> ata_piix IDE interfaces? My motherboard is ASUS P5Q SE2.
18 >
19 >My hardware is several years older than yours, so my knowledge is obsolete :(
20 >
21 >My dvd player uses the old flat-ribbon cable (5 cm wide) attached to an old
22 >PATA controller plug, so naturally I need a PATA kernel driver to use the dvd
23 >drive.
24 >
25 >Does your dvd drive use a new (small) SATA cable to connect to the motherboard?
26
27 No, it is conected by the old flat-ribbon cable.
28
29 >If the answer is yes, then your understanding is correct, and your kernel *should*
30 >be announcing your dvd hardware in dmesg.
31
32 I don't see any mention about the dvd-player in dmesg.
33
34 >Are you sure the cables are connected properly to the dvd drive? Are the lights
35 >on the dvd drive blinking normally during boot?
36
37 Yes, it blinks normally.
38
39 >I'm still trying to separate hardware/driver problems from udev problems.
40
41 What should I do to make the kernel see the dvd-palyer? How to turn on
42 the PATA driver?
45 Regards,
46 Alex