From: Michael Kintzios <michaelkintzios@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] USB modem
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 11:07:01
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Thanasis Papakonstantinou [mailto:athpap@×××××.com]
3 > Sent: 22 September 2005 00:10
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: [gentoo-user] USB modem
8 > Can you recommend an external *USB* dialup PSTN modem, which
9 > will work
10 > 100-90% in Gento 2.6.13r1 ?
11 >
12 > After failing to setup my laptop's mart link winmodem (it
13 > can't be done,
14 > i'll have to wait), a USB modem is the only solution
15
16 Sorry, I haven't a direct answer to your question, only a warning:
17 check that the supposedly external modem is a real external hardware
18 modem. There's a few around which in reality are software winmodems
19 in-a-box. You plug them in and then spend a lot of time wondering why
20 it doesn't work. :-@
21
22 Googling around once you set your eyes on a particular USB modem usually
23 provides some useful clues.
24 --
25 Regards,
26 Mick