From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] "wiping" unused space and/or secure erasing of files
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 20:17:03
1 Qian Qiao schrieb:
2 > On 10/30/05, Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name> wrote:
3
4 >> Well, but how does it work in a DBMS? Does a transaction
5 >> log there save you from a 'DELETE FROM table; COMMIT;'?
6 >> I mean, I suppose you could see - thanks to the transaction
7 >> log - that a 'DELETE FROM table;' was done, who did it
8 >> and when it was done.
11 > It does, technically.
12
13 Does it? How? So the log contains what rows are in the
14 table? How large is the log? If I have a look at the
15 archived redo logs of some Oracle DBs, I see that they
16 tend to be gigantic - if you also count what's been
17 written away and archived on backup tapes.
18
19 But those logs are a bit different than FS journals.
20 The DBMS logs contain everything that's been done.
21 Every row that's added (INSERT) or every change (UPDATE).
24 > The way DBMS maintains table consistancy opon
25 > failure is to re-play transactions logged.
26
27 Yes. This would mean, that the system would notice
28 that "DELETE FROM table;" has not yet been (successfully/completely)
29 run, wouldn't it?
30
31 > These logs are not the logs
32 > that appear in /var/log, they are maintained internally by the DBMS.
33
34 Sure.
35
36 Alexander Skwar