From: Adrian CAPDEFIER <adriancapdefier@×××××××.ro>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Brutal force attack
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 22:00:26
1 Pe data de Luni 06 Decembrie 2004 23:42, Luigi Pinna a scris:
2 > Alle 22:28, lunedì 06 dicembre 2004, Adrian CAPDEFIER ha scritto:
3 > > is he doing that using ssh? If your computer is not a public server
4 > > where people expect to connect on port 22 then you can alter the port
5 > > to say 2222. One of the best security measures around :). You could
6 > > also disable password logins and go for key-based authentification
7 > > (assuming this doesn't restrict you in some way)
8 > >
9 > > Good luck.
10 > >
11 > > Adi.
12 >
13 > No, my computer is not a public server, I can change the listen port;
14 > I'd use key and password: usually I connect from the same machine.
15 > I want to do that: a rda key from the host allows to connect to the ssh
16 > server and after the usual authentication.
17 > Now I try to install a firewall and after that I'd do that.
18 > Is it complicated?
19 > In this moment I try to learn about firewall-kernel-2.6 modules...
20 > Thanks,
21 > Luigi
22
23 A firewall is a must for every putter connected to the Internet IMO. If you
24 install one you can allow access on port 22 to only some hosts and deny to
25 everyone else (or the other way arround).
26 Alternatively if you're feeling devilish and bored you could also install a
27 traffic shaper and make the incomming speed on port 22 (except for some
28 hosts) to 1B/s >:)
29
30 If you want I can e-mail to you a version of my script used for neghibourhood
31 routing that I use to protect my personal computer.
32
33 Adi.
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list