From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Python TK
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 17:11:07
1 On Thursday 26 July 2012 17:36:37 Michael Mol wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 12:25 PM, Silvio Siefke <siefke_listen@×××.de>
3 wrote:
4 > > On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 14:04:37 +0100
5 > >
6 > > Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
7 > >> You could build packages in a chroot on a faster machine, that's
8 > >> what I do to run Gentoo on lower-popwered devices.
9 > >
10 > > Really that goes? With diffrent CPUs, Graphics and so? Because in
11 > > Desktop is Core 2 Duo with ATI Graphic and the network cards
12 > > others. On Netbook run Atom, Intel Graphic and Atheros Network.
13 >
14 > Sure. Just keep your USE flags straight. Graphics boards shouldn't
15 > make any difference at all in a cross-compiling scenario. As for
16 > CPU...programs compiled to run on an Atom proc should have no problem
17 > running on a Core 2 Duo.
18
19 Just to expand that, I followed Neil's advice when setting my boxes up.
20 I have an atom box as LAN server and an i5 workstation. I have a script
21 which I run on the workstation to mount all the necessary directories on
22 the chroot, including nfs-mounting the atom's /usr/portage/packages dir.
23 Then I chroot into the 32-bit system as described in the installation
24 handbook, env-update && . /etc/profile and away I go.
25
26 Then, on the atom, I emerge -kuaDvN world to install from the packages
27 I've just built.
28
29 The only thing to be careful of is keeping the atom box and the chroot
30 identical. /var/lib/portage/world and /etc/portage/ must be identical.
31 Also /usr/src/linux/.config and /boot/ .
32
33 Let me know if you'd like the mounting script.
36 Rgds
37 Peter