From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: youtube-dl and mpv.conf file
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2019 18:32:43
1 On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 12:38:47PM +0100, Mick wrote
2
3 > If you do not specify an output format for youtube-dl to transcode the
4 > video and audio into, the application will use a matroska container:
5 >
6 > [ffmpeg] Merging formats into "Double Slit Experiment explained! by Jim Al-
7 > Khalili-A9tKncAdlHQ.mkv"
8 >
9 > which will retain the best video with the size you requested as h264
10 > *and* the best audio it could find as opus. This will adhere to your
11 > request for a best video and best audio.
12
13 [...deletia...]
14
15 > On a practical level, if the mkv container is not suitable for you,
16 > you could instead restrict the audio format to m4a and then ytdl will
17 > download the .f140 file rather than .f251 and mux video and audio into
18 > an mp4 container - but arguably this won't represent the 'best' audio.
19
20 Thank you, that works for me. mplayer can handle mkv. I misunderstood
21 the man page and interpreted that specifying "--merge-output-format" was
22 mandatory if I wanted a merge. I ran youtube-dl and played back with
23 mplayer...
24
25 [youtube] A9tKncAdlHQ: Downloading webpage
26 [youtube] A9tKncAdlHQ: Downloading video info webpage
27 [youtube] Downloading just video A9tKncAdlHQ because of --no-playlist
28 WARNING: Requested formats are incompatible for merge and will be merged into mkv.
29 [download] Destination: /home/waltdnes/ytdl/Double_Slit_Experiment_explained_by_Jim_Al-Khalili.f137.mp4
30 [download] 100% of 31.55MiB in 00:17
31 [download] Destination: /home/waltdnes/ytdl/Double_Slit_Experiment_explained_by_Jim_Al-Khalili.f251.webm
32 [download] 100% of 6.65MiB in 00:03
33 [ffmpeg] Merging formats into "/home/waltdnes/ytdl/Double_Slit_Experiment_explained_by_Jim_Al-Khalili.mkv"
34 Deleting original file /home/waltdnes/ytdl/Double_Slit_Experiment_explained_by_Jim_Al-Khalili.f137.mp4 (pass -k to keep)
35 Deleting original file /home/waltdnes/ytdl/Double_Slit_Experiment_explained_by_Jim_Al-Khalili.f251.webm (pass -k to keep)
36
37 My ~/.config/youtube-dl/config is...
38
39 -f bestvideo[width<=1920]+bestaudio
40 --no-mtime
41 --no-playlist
42 -o ~/ytdl/%(title)s.%(ext)s
43 --restrict-filenames
46 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
47 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications