From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Changing profiles
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 20:16:37
1 On Tuesday 23 December 2008 22:05:25 Grant wrote:
2 > >> Going from non-hardened to hardened may run into some downgrading
3 > >> problems, however, in view of the above. For example, hardened devs
4 > >> still have not put gcc4 in stable (at least on x86, I don't know about
5 > >> amd64), so if you have gcc4 installed, you'll need to downgrade. Along
6 > >> the same lines some packages that will not compile unless you use gcc4
7 > >> cannot be installed (lilypond for example).
8 > >
9 > > I suspect downgrading from non-hardened to hardened will be impossible;
10 > >
11 > > glibc-2.6.1 is stable on x86 at least, so in all probability almost all
12 > > x86 boxen will at least have that.
13 > >
14 > > But >=glibc-2.6 is hard masked on x86 so there is no commonality and no
15 > > version available where the glibc ebuild will even permit this required
16 > > downgrade. It would seem that a reinstall is the only possible way to do
17 > > this.
18 >
19 > Do you think going from hardened to non-hardened is do-able? I'd like
20 > to do that with my laptop.
21
22 I've never done it myself, but I can't see any reason why not. Hardened is a
23 strict subset of non-hardened (in terms of packages and versions) so it
24 should just be a smooth, albeit long, upgrade.
25
26 There may well be USE flags involved that introduce incompatibilities that
27 can't be resolved, I wouldn't know about that. I would also suggest you find
28 a decent howto written by someone who knows the process. You definitely want
29 to get your USE, CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS right the first time. Otherwise you'll
30 end up recompiling lots of stuff over and over, each time with new settings
31 you forgot about the previous time :-)
35 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
39 > Also, I've got this with my server:
40 >
41 > # eselect profile list
42 > Available profile symlink targets:
43 > [1] hardened/x86/2.6 *
44 > [2] selinux/2007.0/x86
45 > [3] selinux/2007.0/x86/hardened
46 > [4] default/linux/x86/2008.0
47 > [5] default/linux/x86/2008.0/desktop
48 > [6] default/linux/x86/2008.0/developer
49 > [7] default/linux/x86/2008.0/server
50 > [8] hardened/linux/x86
51 >
52 > Is there a difference between 1 and 8? I may switch to 8 since that
53 > seems like a more current one.
54 >
55 > - Grant