From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Questions about building from source tarball
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 17:26:31
1 On 10/30/2012 04:56 AM, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > Several years ago, back in the days of Mozilla 0.9x and Phoenix, I
3 > used to build Mozilla and/or Pheonix from the source tarball. I've been
4 > using Gentoo for years, and I've forgotten a lot about building manually
5 > from source. I asked this question on mozillazine.org, but no answers
6 > yet. Hopefully, I can get some help here. I'm looking at
7 > https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Simple_SeaMonkey_build and I
8 > have a few questions...
9 >
10 > 1) What options do I need to set to make Seamonkey (or Firefox) build
11 > in, and run from, a local dir, e.g. "${HOME}/seamonkey"? Something to
12 > do with "prefix" and "exec-prefix"? I'd prefer to avoid jumping to root
13 > for the install. And throwing in files in /usr that portage doesn't
14 > know about, is begging for trouble.
17 Most of the configuration directives reference the PREFIX by default.
18 This is from GNU tar, but FF is probably the same:
19
20 Installation directories:
21 --prefix=PREFIX ... [/usr/local]
22 --exec-prefix=EPREFIX ... [PREFIX]
23
24 Fine tuning of the installation directories:
25 --bindir=DIR ... [EPREFIX/bin]
26 --sbindir=DIR ... [EPREFIX/sbin]
27 ...
28
29 So by default, everything eventually references PREFIX, which defaults
30 to /usr/local. You can change PREFIX to be e.g. ~/local/ and the rest
31 should wind up in subdirectories of that. Just double check to make sure
32 all of the FF defaults refer back to PREFIX.
35 > 2) I read the instructions on how to pass the "O2" flag to the make and
36 > compile process. What about the rest of the CFLAGS line? My CFLAGS are
39 I use this in my ~/.bashrc:
40
41 # Grab CFLAGS, etc. from make.conf.
42 . /etc/portage/make.conf
43
44 # LDFLAGS comes from.. somewhere else.
45 LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
46
47 # Portage does this for us.
48 MAKE="make ${MAKEOPTS}"
49
50 If anyone knows of a slicker way to do LDFLAGS, I'd like to know.