From: Mike Kazantsev <mike_kazantsev@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo-sources-2.6.29-r1 - Intel unable to pin 'front buffer'
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 23:45:56
1 On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 15:24:37 -0700
2 Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > I am still having horrid problems with my wife's machine segfaulting
5 > when running any application using xv video. I read some posts in
6 > other forums by a couple of folks stating they had similar problems
7 > which were solved by updating a bunch of stuff, one fo them being the
8 > kernel to 2.6.29, so I'm attempting to get that working now. In the
9 > past I've generally done this by taking a copy of a recent .config
10 > file, running make oldconfig and then make && make modules_install.
11 > Unfortunately in this case when I try to boot 2.6.29-gentoo-r1 I'm
12 > left with some messages as the X server fails to get going:
13 ...
14 > Fatal server error:
15 > Couldn't bind memory for BO front buffer
18 Prehaps you should try disabling framebuffer by removing it's kernel
19 parameters from grub line, if it's enabled, of course.
20
21 Also, there's a video_modesettng switch on 2.6.29+ kernel for intel
22 drm. If it's enabled (by default it isn't), intelfb shouldn't be in
23 grub at all.
27 Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net