From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Asus laptop & brightness keys
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 11:13:12
1 On Saturday, 15 May 2021 11:46:46 BST Emmanuel Vasilakis wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 >
4 > I got a new Asus Zenbook laptop, with a ryzen 4500U processor. Most
5 > things run great, except those brightness keys!
6 >
7 > Nothing is reported when pressing them, either with showkeys or
8 > acpi_listen, so I can't bind them to a shortcut. Brightness by changing
9 > the value in /sys/class/backlight/amdgpu_b10/brightness works fine.
10 >
11 > I have asus_wmi and asus_nb_wmi modules loaded, so things like
12 > multitouch pad and keyboard backlight work fine.
13 >
14 > I'm running a 5.10.27 gentoo sources kernel. Most people on the net say
15 > that using the 'acpi_osi= ' parameter fixes it, but in my case it just
16 > hangs at kernel boot. Did try e.g. acpi_osi=Linux, but nothing changed.
17 >
18 > At the same time, using a live Manjaro usb both brightness keys work
19 > fine, and they are usable under Gnome.
20 >
21 > I'm sure I'm missing something in my kernel configuration.... Any ideas?
22 >
23 > Thanks!
24
25 Assuming the Manjaro Live-USB is running the same version of kernel/modules
26 and firmware, then it is worth checking /proc/config.gz for the running
27 kernel's configuration and comparing it with your gentoo configuration.
28
29 Also while you're there you could check with lsmod what modules were loaded by
30 the Manjaro kernel to see if you're missing something.