From: Paige Thompson <erratic@××××××××××.sx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The future of linux, and Gentoo specifically now
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 19:22:25
1 On 11/21/14 18:20, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 12:39 PM, <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Regardless, the smaller, cheaper embedded linux crowd is very unlikely to
4 >> ever embrace systemd. Why? Glad you asks. Thousands of reasons, but,
5 >> here are a few: It is very common in embedded (anything) to run multiple
6 >> and often different rtos (real time operating system) on different embedded
7 >> systems products, often to circumvent licenses, royalties, duplication,
8 >> security and a plethora of other reasons. Furthermore, many embedded systems
9 >> run simultaneous codes on a single
10 >> core and systemd does not fit into that scheme of things, at all.
11 >>
12 > Embedded is a VERY broad term. I agree that systemd isn't applicable
13 > in all of these cases, but honestly in the cases where it doesn't
14 > apply I don't see something like openrc or even sysvinit being a great
15 > solution.
16 >
17 > For the more PC-like appliance something like systemd is fairly
18 > compelling once it matures, because it is basically a standardized
19 > collection of stuff designed to work together. You could look at it a
20 > bit like busybox in that regard.
21 >
22 > This argument is also a bit like saying that since most embedded
23 > devices don't have high-res displays, X11 and Wayland are dead-end
24 > technologies.
25 >
26 > The reality is that embedded tends to do things differently - it is
27 > related to your typical desktop distro, but not really in pure
28 > competition.
29 >
30 > Look at it another way - the most popular PID 1 on Gentoo-derived
31 > systems isn't even in the main portage repository. I'm speaking of
32 > course of Chromebooks, which run Upstart.
33 >
34 > --
35 > Rich
36 >
37 I'm actually familiar with android / Qualcomm stuff and QuRT as well as
38 OKL4. Honestly if it meant a substitute for QuRT could be made available
39 to the public I'd say use whatever-- I'll never buy another device until
40 then. Besides, I'm not sure at which point it became okay to buy a $400+
41 device use it for 6 months and then throw it in the trash and buy
42 another but I won't be a part of that.