From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo decapitated
Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 22:01:25
1 On Sunday 16 May 2010 22:45:55 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
2 > On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 2:43 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 11:23 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > >> On Sunday 16 May 2010 18:18:09 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
5 > >> > On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 8:43 AM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
6 > >>
7 > >> wrote:
8 > >>
9 > >> <major snippage>
10 > >>
11 > >> > Oh, and one more thing showed up last night. I reemerged udev, and
12 > >>
13 > >> noticed
14 > >>
15 > >> > that the ebuild printed a message to the effect that if it doesn't
16 > >> > work,
17 > >>
18 > >> I
19 > >>
20 > >> > should try emerging hal first. Leaving aside the non-effective
21 > >>
22 > >> language, I
23 > >>
24 > >> > tried that and although hal is installed, I can no longer build it.
25 > >>
26 > >> This
27 > >>
28 > >> > may turn out to be the most important thing. It turns out I can't
29 > >>
30 > >> compile
31 > >>
32 > >> > the latest wireshark either. Maybe something is hosed deep down. It
33 > >>
34 > >> may
35 > >>
36 > >> > be time to go down the "emptytree" road again, but it took 2 weeks
37 > >> > last time, and was a major PITA.
38 > >>
39 > >> I don't know if you have been following the "libpng12 is missing"
40 > >> thread, but
41 > >> for good measure you may want to try lafilefixer --justfixit and revdep-
42 > >> rebuild -p -v -i a number of times first. On two machines of mine (x86)
43 > >> there
44 > >> was no problem. On another (amd64) I had to go through the pain of
45 > >> emerge -e
46 > >> world.
47 > >>
48 > >> I just did the lafixer thing and was astonished at how many .la files it
49 > >
50 > > said it was
51 > > fixing. Seems like my system should have been dead outright....
52 > >
53 > > Now I'm off to a bunch of revdep-rebuilds.
54 > >
55 > > Hope this works, because I really *do not* want to emerge -e world
56 > > (again).
59 > > I've got to ask, though, what good a revdep-rebuild does with the -p
60 >
61 > (pretend) flag.
62 > Am I missing something here?
63
64 You're not missing anything. It's a cautionary step only. If you are about
65 to do something with the machine and remerging the whole universe would be
66 inconvenient at this moment in time, or you may want to reconsider/change some
67 of your settings, then --pretend will give you this chance. I've made the
68 habit of using it almost without thinking, but you can of course not use it,
69 or substitute it with -a.
70 --
71 Regards,
72 Mick