From: Felix Kuperjans <felix@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Full disk encryption
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 15:49:51
1 Hello Peter,
2
3 dmcrypt works perfectly without initrd as long as you do not encrypt the
4 root filesystem.
5
6 So for encrypted home directories, you can just create and use a LUKS
7 volume with dmcrypt (AFAIK the fastest and easy-to-use way).
8
9 Regarding other techniques like gpg or truecrypt, you should keep in
10 mind, that dmcrypt works directly in the kernelspace, so it may be a lot
11 faster with the same encryption strength (but it don't know any
12 benchmark about that).
13
14 Regards,
15 Felix