From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE and the new plasma 5 thing
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 20:14:09
1 On 12/04/2016 22:10, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 07:53:34PM +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >> On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 13:21:37 -0500, Dale wrote:
4
5 8<
6
7 >>> Oh, I had to switch to sddm for this too. You just change the setting
8 >>> from kdm to sddm and it just works. It looks different but it works
9 >>> fine. That may have carried over some settings. It selected the user
10 >>> and was ready for my password just like kdm did. Again, it looks
11 >>> different but it seems to work the same. I suspect one could adjust the
12 >>> settings, somewhere, and make it look like kdm if they wanted to.
13 >>
14 >> That's because kdm is dead. I found sddm a little flakey. On my laptop it
15 >> works more or less as expected, but on my desktop, selecting reboot or
16 >> power off from the desktop drops me back to sddm without rebooting.
17 >
18 > I don't particularly like SDDM. I does not allow me to log in using just the
19 > keyboard, I always have to click into the password field after it loaded up.
20 > The field is neither active by default nor can I select it with Tab. Call it
21 > a nitpick, but even Windows lets me enter my password without a mouse. Is it
22 > a problem with my VM or can you confirm this?
23
24 It get it as well. But worse, it's erratic. Sometimes the password field
25 has focus on startup, sometimes now. Sometimes my usert account is
26 selected sometimes not.
27
28 I have a suspicion it's somehow related to whether I press Enter to
29 initiate login, or click the button with a mouse. But that takes too
30 many logouts to verify so I haven't checked :-)
35 Alan McKinnon
36 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com