From: Tom H <tomh0665@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ubuntu with Gentoo somehow...
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2018 14:02:54
1 On Sun, Mar 25, 2018 at 8:47 AM, <tuxic@××××××.de> wrote:
4 > is there a way to download the archive (or how is it called in the
5 > world of Ubuntu ?) of a program, from which I only know the apt-get
6 > and apt-install commands?
7
8 A "deb" file, which you can expand with "ar" (no need to install "dpkg").
11 > And how can I do the same for a developer release of that program when
12 > I additionally know the ppa (whatever that is...?)
13
14 I'll use systemd because I used the Ubuntu maintainer's systemd ppa
15 two or three years ago and I still have that url bookmarked.
16
17 To get the regular systemd deb:
18
19 http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/s/systemd/
20
21 [ I've chosen the "de" repository given your email address. ]
22
23 To get the ppa systemd deb (the ppa is called "pitti/systemd"):
24
25 http://ppa.launchpad.net/pitti/systemd/ubuntu/
28 > I onlu need the archives of the complete program. Like Blender the
29 > archive is "all inclusive" ... :
30
31 Make sure that the source package isn't split up into more than one
32 deb. If you look at the systemd example above, you'll find many
33 "lib..." debs as well as "systemd..." and "udev..." debs.
38 Rather than grabbing a "deb", unpacking it, and dropping its
39 components into "/usr/local/", you might want to look into using
40 Ubuntu's snap that allows you to install self-contained applications
41 in the same way that Android and iOS do.
42
43 [ I have no idea whether snap is available on Gentoo or whether your
44 app is packaged as a snap. ]