From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Going ~x86?
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 14:23:04
1 On Friday 15 January 2010 15:04:12 Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > Some time ago, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > On Wednesday 11 November 2009 17:21:26 Alex Schuster wrote:
4 > > > I wonder if it's worth the trouble. I read here that running a full
5 > > > ~x86 system would probably be easier. And I'd like to try, but while
6 > > > going from x86 to ~x86 is easy, the other way is quite hard, isn't
7 > > > it? If possible at all.
8 > >
9 > > yes, it is easier to just go ~x86. Yes, it is very very very hard to go
10 > > back - easier to reinstall
11 >
12 > I hope I will not have to do so :) But I have a backup, just in case.
13 > BTW, why would the downgrade be so painful? Is this because of the
14 > impossible glibc downgrade, or are there even more problems?
15
16 glibc is the one thing that makes it almost impossible. Everything else just
17 makes it very very hard.
18
19 [snip]
20
21 > Now I have a final question (for the moment). What is this ~x86 called?
22 > Writing is easy, 4 characters, but how is this pronounced? Tilde-ex-
23 > eightysix / tilde-arch? Or is it just testing? The problem came up when I
24 > was at the Chaos Communication Congress in Berlin and talked to the guys
25 > at the Gentoo desk.
26
27 any of those will do. Even "unstable arch".
28
29 Anyone with more than a few days experience with gentoo will know what you are
30 talking about.
33 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com