From: Jure Varlec <exzombie@×××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] What exactly is kernel timer frequency?
Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 12:55:59
1 What exactly does 'Timer frequency' (under 'Processor type and features') do?
2 Which timer does it control? I'm asking because it seems to have interesting
3 effects.
4
5 I used to have it set to 1KHz. Yesterday, I tried setting it to 100Hz just to
6 see what effects it would have. I didn't notice any impact on responsiveness.
7 There is a funny effect with superkaramba though. I noticed it with the
8 system monitor first, but I added a clock to see it better. I set the refresh
9 interval for the clock to 1 sec, and everytime it refreshes, it seems to
10 'skip a beat'. Hard to describe it. When it refreshes to show the current
11 number of seconds, it refreshes again a not-sot-tiny fraction of a second
12 later and shows the next second. Then, it fails to refresh for almost 2 sec,
13 then does it again.
14 It seems funny because 100Hz frequency is low enough for a human to observe
15 (or not, depending on what you're observing) but too high to cause such
16 behavior. That means I misunderstand what this setting does, so I'm turning
17 to you for an answer.
18 --
19 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list