From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, Denis <denis.che@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how do you keep up with system administration?
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 03:25:59
1 On 5/29/07, Denis <denis.che@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I usually dread kernel updates because then I have to go through
3 > kernel menuconfig all over again, and for me, that takes some time. I
4 > guess one can reuse the old .config file, but I understand it's not
5 > always a safe thing to do. Is it reasonably ok to wait for every
6 > "major" 2.6.x release to update, or is it necessary to update on every
7 > minor 2.6.x.y release also?
8
9 You can use the old .config safely if you "make oldconfig" before
10 anything else. It will prompt you for replies to any new things,
11 and quietly ditch anything it doesn't recognize. I've been doing this
12 for years. I mostly reply "no" to all the prompts, but sometimes the
13 new stuff is interesting.
14
15 ++ kevin
19 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD