From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Root can't write to files owned by others?
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 18:23:44
1 On Fri, Mar 11, 2022 at 10:06 AM Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 11/03/2022 17:06, Mark Knecht wrote:
4 > > Is this related to the 'dirty pipe' vulnerability that has been in the
5 > > news of late and has gotten patched in most distros in the last few
6 > > days?
7 >
8 > In one of the discussions about the patch, it was mentioned that "a
9 > couple of CVEs would have never happened" if this had been the default
10 > to begin with. So, probably yes?
14 My Kubuntu system is set to '1' but Ubuntu released a patchset for 15
15 CVEs including the dirty pipe and I didn't even know about this
16 feature before this news so I have no idea if this was just changed
17 here but I suspect it was. I'm on a much older kernel than most of you
18 guys.
19
20 To me the overriding idea of not letting any user, including root,
21 mess around in a pipe makes logical sense, but as the OP has showed I
22 guess there were valid uses for this feature pre-patch, and it seems
23 that a user can override the feature by setting some bits if they need
24 to and really think they know what they are doing.
25
26 Thanks for the response,
27 Mark