From: Alexander Puchmayr <alexander.puchmayr@×××××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Emerge -u -k package install order - broken system
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2021 07:05:53
1 Am Montag, 6. September 2021, 19:38:38 CEST schrieb Jack:
2 > On 2021.09.06 10:33, Alexander Puchmayr wrote:
3 > > Hi there,
4 > >
5 > > I just tried to upgrade a older installation via binary packages and
6 > > this
7 > > broke my system. After around 25 packages of almost 300 it stopped
8 > > with error
9 > > and failing packages.
10 > >
11 > > $ emerge
12 > > Failed to validate a sane '/dev'.
13 > > bash process substitution doesn't work; this may be an indication of
14 > > a broken
15 > > '/dev/fd'.
16 > > $ ls -l /dev/fd/
17 > > insgesamt 0
18 > > lrwx------ 1 root root 64 6. Sep 14:18 0 -> /dev/pts/0
19 > > lrwx------ 1 root root 64 6. Sep 14:18 1 -> /dev/pts/0
20 > > lrwx------ 1 root root 64 6. Sep 14:18 2 -> /dev/pts/0
21 > > lr-x------ 1 root root 64 6. Sep 14:18 3 -> /proc/27261/fd
22 > >
23 > > --> looks allright, but:
24 > >
25 > > $ bash
26 > > bash: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.33' not found (required by
27 > > /lib64/
28 > > libreadline.so.8)
29 > >
30 > > --> system broken(!), cannot start any shell anymore, cannot install
31 > > anything
32 > > anymore and it's obvious that the system is bricked after reboot or
33 > > even when
34 > > the ssh session I'm logged in is closed.
35 > >
36 > > It seems like as if sys-libs/readline-8.1_p1-r1-1:0/8::gentoo is
37 > > installed
38 > > *before* installing a suitable glibc, breaking any binary that has
39 > > the useflag
40 > > readline (including bash).
41 > >
42 > > Two questions:
43 > > How do I get out of this mess?
44 > > Why does portage not work in correct package order? Portage bug?
45 >
46 > It might help if you stated which version of packages you currently
47 > have installed - specifically glibc.
48 >
49 > As for recovery, you most likely need to boot to a live image (CD or
50 > USB) then chroot into the existing system. I'm only guessing as to
51 > what is the minimal list of files you will need to replace, but I'd see
52 > if you can find or create a binary package of the latest glibc and then
53 > install or unpack that to your system.
54 >
55 > As to whether this might be a bug in portage, I'd say you need to
56 > provide more details about exactly what you did. What emerge line,
57 > what you mean by installation via binary packages, and where you got
58 > those binary packages.
59 >
60 > If you do still have a running shell, does emerge still run at all?
61
62 What I did is:
63 * On my build host, I compiled the full system and creating packages
64 * On the client (i.e. The machine in question) I simply did a emerge -auvDNk
65 world.
66 * Portage did not complain about any conflicts, the amount of packages is what
67 I expected, so I started the upgrade.
68 * After about 25 packages installed successfully, emerge stopped with the
69 errors explained before.
70
71 For me the problem is solved now as I could recover the system, but I still
72 would like to know how to prevent this -- installing glibc prior world may be
73 a good idea.
74
75 Thanks,
76 Alex