From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Unpacking a .exe file
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 22:33:37
1 On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 4:29 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
2 <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Mittwoch 09 September 2009, Mick wrote:
4 >> Hi All,
5 >>
6 >> I seem to be having problems unpacking a particular wireless driver. I
7 >> tried both unzip and cabextract and neither will do the deed:
8 >> =======================================================
9 >> $ unzip -l wg511v2_3_2.exe
10 >> Archive: wg511v2_3_2.exe
11 >> End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
12 >> a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the
13 >> latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
14 >> the last disk(s) of this archive.
15 >> note: wg511v2_3_2.exe may be a plain executable, not an archive
16 >> unzip: cannot find zipfile directory in one of wg511v2_3_2.exe or
17 >> wg511v2_3_2.exe.zip, and cannot find wg511v2_3_2.exe.ZIP, period.
18 >>
19 >> $ cabextract -l wg511v2_3_2.exe
20 >> wg511v2_3_2.exe: no valid cabinets found
21 >>
22 >> All done, errors in processing 1 file(s)
23 >> =======================================================
24 >>
25 >> Last time I used cabextract (more than a couple of years now) I don't
26 >> recall having such problems. How can I troubleshoot this, or how else can
27 >> I extract the .sys files from in there?
30 > what does file says about that file? and doesn't need zip a .zip ending?
31
32 Self-extracting ZIP (and other archive format) files from DOS,
33 Windows, OS/2, etc are usually an executable program with ZIP file
34 appended. The stub program knows to seek to the end of its executable
35 data to look for the archive it is to extract and unzip (etc) are able
36 to detect this stub and bypass it.
37
38 I googled the file wg511v2_3_2.exe and downloaded it. It is a
39 InstallShield program, containing an MSI containing a CAB. AFAIK there
40 are no Linux programs that are able to unpack -current- versions of
41 InstallShield.
42
43 I am on Windows XP right now (at work), I have unpacked the contents
44 and can email them to the OP or upload somewhere if you'd like. Let me
45 know.