From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] RAID-1 on secondary disks how?
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2019 16:17:16
1 On Tuesday, 29 January 2019 16:08:27 GMT Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Tuesday, 29 January 2019 09:20:46 GMT Mick wrote:
3 >
4 > Hello Mick,
5 >
6 > --->8
7 >
8 > > Do you have CONFIG_MD_RAID1 (or whatever it should be these days) built in
9 > > your kernel?
10 >
11 > Yes, I have, but something else was missing: CONFIG_DM_RAID=y. This is in
12 > the SCSI section, which I'd overlooked (I hadn't needed it before because
13 > the main storage is an NVMe drive). After setting that and rebooting, mdadm
14 > --create is working as expected.
15
16 Good! I had assumed this was already selected. ;-)
19 > > You need to update your initramfs after you configure your array, so your
20 > > kernel knows what to assemble at boot time when it doesn't yet have access
21 > > to your mdadm.conf.
22 >
23 > I'd rather not have to create an initramfs if I can avoid it. Would it be
24 > sensible to start the raid volume by putting an mdadm --assemble command
25 > into, say, /etc/local.d/raid.start? The machine doesn't boot from /dev/md0.
26
27 I think yes, as long as OS filesystem(s) are not on the array, or not mounted
28 until the array has been assembled with the correct mdadm.config.
31 Regards,
32 Mick