From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: nvidia-drivers vs. nouveau
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 22:57:34
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 12/04/12 00:32, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
3 >> Am 11.04.2012 23:14, schrieb Nikos Chantziaras:
4 >>
5 >>> Unless you need to use the console (nvidia-drivers don't provide a KMS
6 >>> fb console,) there's no reason to use Nouveau at the moment. The binary
7 >>> drivers perform better and save much more energy. With Nouveau, your
8 >>> GPU will be running full-on constantly. NVidia's drivers will reduce
9 >>> clocks and voltages when the card is idle.
10 >>
11 >> Additional question:
12 >>
13 >> what do you have for VIDEO_CARDS?
14 >>
15 >> my make.conf:
16 >>
17 >> VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia nv vesa"
18 >
19 > Mine:
20 >
21 > VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia"
22 >
23 > "nv" is for the old, deprecated 2D-only driver that should not be used
24 > anymore. "vesa" is for the generic VESA driver. It's still good as an
25 > emergency backup.
26 >
27 > Note that after changing VIDEO_CARDS, it's best to "emerge -uDN world &&
28 > emerge -a --depclean".
34 Somewhat related question. I use the Nvidia drivers here and have not
35 had any issues in a while. How does one use VESA if the Nvidia drivers
36 fail? One used to change it in xorg.conf but most don't have a
37 xorg.conf any more.
38
39 Just curious.
40
41 Dale
42
46 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
47 how you interpreted my words!
48
49 Miss the compile output? Hint:
50 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"