From: John Jolet <john@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Home Network Printing
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 20:21:37
1 On Nov 30, 2005, at 1:31 PM, Mick wrote:
2
3 > Guys, this is ridiculous! Every time I want to print something from
4 > my main
5 > Linux machine I have to physically disconnect the printer from the
6 > second
7 > box and connect it to this one. The way this is going I will soon
8 > need to
9 > buy another parallel port connector because the pins will wear out!
10 >
11 > Surely, it can't be that difficult. I mean, it obviously is for
12 > me, but a
13 > lot of people have cracked it. It should be straight forward
14 > printing from
15 > one Linux box to the other. Please ask if you need more info from
16 > config
17 > files etc.
18 >
19 > In hope that some advice will soon arrive ;-)
20 >
21 > Cheers,
22 >
23 one way you can do this is use the features of cups...for instance,
24 my macintosh has a laser printer attached: the cupsd.conf sys this:
25 Port 631, Listen /private/var/run/cupsd, BrowseAddress @LOCAL,
26 BrowseShortNames No, BrowseAllow @LOCAL, BrowseDeny ALL and later
27 <Location />
28 Order Deny,Allow
29 Deny From All
30 Allow From @LOCAL
31 Allow from 192.168.1.51
32 </Location>
33
34 all this allows all machines on the same subnet as my mac (@LOCAL) to
35 browse the list of printers and allows all from the local subnet to
36 print, well, i've also explicitly allowed my laptop access.
37
38 on the laptop, I also have Port 631, and not much else. I have NO
39 printers configured in my laptop...default gentoo install. when i'm
40 on the net, it gets the broadcast from the mac and I can print...when
41 i'm not, i have no printers at all.
42 --
43 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list