From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How to determine which mobo without opening case
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 15:08:42
1 David Relson wrote:
2 > On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 22:21:18 -0600
3 > Dale wrote:
6 >> Peter Humphrey wrote:
7 >>
8 >>> On Wednesday 02 December 2009 01:25:16 David Relson wrote:
9 >>>
10 >>>
11 >>>
12 >>>> For grins, whenever I restart my computer I run hwinfo, lshw,
13 >>>> lspci, and a variety of other utilities and save the results.
14 >>>>
15 >>>>
16 >>> Good God. I hope you don't do that more than once a decade. Just
17 >>> how long can a life be?
18 >>>
19 >>>
20 >>>
21 >> Unless he changes hardware while it is shutdown. I don't think the
22 >> drivers have ever changed on my system since I built it. I have had
23 >> to add a couple, ethernet card and a SATA card, but other than that,
24 >> it should be the same.
25 >>
26 >> I have to say tho, booting a CD and doing lspci -k or -v is the best
27 >> way to get the right drivers. That is providing the hardware works
28 >> when that is done.
29 >>
30 >> Dale
33 > Changing kernels can have undesired side effects. The log files help
34 > to figure out what went wrong.
38 That's odd. I update my kernel fairly regular. It's always the same
39 drivers for the same old hardware. I don't think the drivers has
40 changed for my hardware since I built this system. My ethernet card
41 used dmfe way back when I bought them and after many many kernel
42 upgrades, it still uses dmfe. Same for the other hardware.
43
44 I guess your mileage varies a lot.
45
46 Dale