From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is grub2 stable and who uses it?
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2011 20:38:21
1 On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 1:11 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 4 Oct 2011 08:08:16 -0700
3 > Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> > At first glace, grub2 looks like a minature Unix installation whose
6 >> > purpose is to boot a bigger Unix installation.  It's got it's own
7 >> > init system and it's own set of init scripts.
8 >>
9 >> That it's not true. It connects to whatever init system do you have
10 >> (OpenRC, SysV, systemd, Upstart), and it has scripts to *generate* the
11 >> config file.
12 >>
13 >> The thing is that GRUB2 needs to understand several filesystems to
14 >> grab the kernel image from. It also wants to be able to use a more
15 >> interesting resolution than 640x480. This means that it has to
16 >> reimplement all the code for any filesystem, and all the code for
17 >> video handling.
18 >
19 > Personally, I can't agree with this stance from the grub2 devs.
20 >
21 > It's a bootloader. It is visible for 3 seconds at boot time.
22
23 Some of us care about those 3 seconds, and the flickering of the
24 screen when going from bootloader to init splash to X. If you don't
25 care about those 3 seconds or the flickering, then simply don't use
26 grub2: keep using grub-legacy or lilo.
27
28 > For driving the screen it should just use whatever facilities the
29 > firmware one layer below it provides.
30
31 That's your opinion, and a respectable one. I agree not everybody will
32 (nor should) care about a pretty boot menu. However, many of us do.
33
34 I'm pretty sure when grub2 hits the 2.0 version it will be optional at
35 ./configure time wether to use or not pretty graphics and a lot of
36 filesystems, or only VGA and ext2, and everything in between.
37
38 Regards.
39 --
40 Canek Peláez Valdés