From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge @system
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 14:31:07
1 On Tuesday 30 Aug 2016 13:38:13 J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Tuesday, August 30, 2016 11:56:50 AM Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > On Tuesday 30 Aug 2016 12:06:43 Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 > > > You should elaborate more and be specific on what you mean by "The
5 > > > reason is an intermittent series of apparently unrelated things going
6 > > > wrong."
7 > >
8 > > Here's one then: In KMail (yes, I know*) the folder list contains an
9 > > item
10 > > "trash" (ugh!), but when I come to empty it it's called "Wastebin" (much
11 > > better) in the drop-down menu.
12 >
13 > Check your language/internationisation settings.
14 > The translations is from "kde-apps/kdepim-l10n"
15
16 I can't find anything wrong with those settings. Everything is set to
17 British English.
18
19 $ locale -a
20 C
21 en_GB
22 en_GB.iso88591
23 en_GB.iso885915
24 en_GB.utf8
25 POSIX
26
27 $ eselect locale list
28 Available targets for the LANG variable:
29 [1] C
30 [2] en_GB
31 [3] en_GB.iso88591
32 [4] en_GB.iso885915
33 [5] en_GB.utf8 *
34 [6] POSIX
35 [ ] (free form)
36
37 > > And another: if I move my user account away and create a new one,
38 > > setting KDE plasma up from scratch (this is ~amd64), the system-settings
39 > > panel has no icons and the single-click-to-open preference is ignored,
40 > > even though it's the default and I already have it set anyway. Then, if
41 > > I revert to the original home directory, which has followed events
42 > > through the last six months, those faults disappear.
43 >
44 > Hmm... not sure where this comes from
45
46 But this time, the single-click-to-open preference is still ignored.
47
48 You see, the system is behaving inconsistently - even irrationally at times.
49
50 --->8
51
52 > > * I've seen references to KMail 5.0.3 already Out There, so I'm sticking
53 > > with it in the hope that 5.* will be more solid.
54 >
55 > I'm still using Kmail 4.x until Kmail 5 becomes unmasked...
56
57 As far as I can see, Kmail 5 isn't even in the tree yet.
58
59 > If you want a truly clean build:
60 > emerge -ae @system
61 > emerge -ae @world
62 > emerge -a --depclean
63 >
64 > (That's what I did last time I had too many strange issues)
65
66 I've done that or similar many times over the last several weeks. I think
67 I'm left with just one sensible option: to build a new system from scratch,
68 complete with a new user account, not carrying anything but necessities over
69 from the current system.
72 Rgds
73 Peter