From: Peter <pete4abw@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: unformat a partition
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 21:46:33
1 On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 12:15:24 -0500, Nick Smith wrote:
2
3 > i just accidentally blew away my ntfs partition with the gentoo
4 > install cd (formatted hda1 instead of hdb1) is there a way to unformat
5 > if it was just done? like undo the format information? i formatted
6 > with ext3. ordinarily i wouldnt mind, but i have some VERY important
7 > information on there and a ton of pictures i cannot lose (originals).
8 > i can probably use getdataback when i get home just wanted to know if
9 > there was another way since im still at the prompt on the install cd
10 > now.
11 >
12 > thanks (bangs head on wall)
13
14 A definite MAYBE. If you did a quick format, not doing error checking,
15 there is an excellent chance your data is intact. If you did error
16 checking, then probably not, although badblock normally restores data as
17 it checks each sector.
18
19 If you know about partition editing, then go in and change the partition
20 type back to ntfs and see if it can be mounted by Windows or linux.
21
22 Now, first thing I would do is do an image backup of the partition just so
23 you can save it and try again with a different approach if need be.
24
25 Second, the sfdisk utility in Linux allows for low level partition
26 editing, but it's not easy. Windows utilities are much better for this
27 kind of thing. I remember the old Norton Disk Doctor for example.
28
29 Nonetheless, the good news is if you did a quick format, you most likely
30 will be fine. How fine depends on whether or not you can get the partition
31 to mount again under the original partition type.
32
33 Otherwise, there are services like Ontrack which, for mega $$$ get your
34 stuff back.
35
36 Good luck!
39 Peter