From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] processor speed
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2017 05:07:45
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 5:22 PM, wabe <wabenbau@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> I'm using an AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor. I bought it six or seven
4 >> years ago when it was brand-new. It still works to my satisfaction. But
5 >> of course recent CPUs (for example AMD Ryzen) are much faster. Therefore
6 >> I wanna buy an AMD Threadripper next year. This should be an enormous
7 >> speedup. :-)
8 >>
9 > Having just upgraded one of those to a Ryzen 5 1600 I can tell you
10 > that besides tripling your kernel build speeds, it will also sound
11 > less like a hair dryer and make your room feel less like it has a
12 > space heater inside.
15 My old rig, AMD 2500+ CPU with about 3 or 4GBs of ram. My new rig, AMD
16 Phenom II X4 955 with 16GBs of ram. My old rig, pulled about 400 watts
17 from the wall, while idle. My new rig, pulls about 160 watts idle and
18 that includes monitor, router and all. I don't think my little speakers
19 are plugged into the UPS. Thing is, my new rig according to my math is
20 almost 10 times as fast. It has a lot more ram and more drives than the
21 old rig.
22
23 More to your point, my old rig used 80mm fans. It had lots of them.
24 CPU, several on the case including some I added myself. It made some
25 noise for sure. My new case is a Cooler Master HAF-932. It has those
26 200mm fans which move a lot of air but turn pretty slowly, which means
27 quiet. Thing is, the newer and faster rig runs cooler, quieter and
28 faster than the old rig by far.
29
30 Isn't it amazing how efficient and fast newer computers are? It's
31 almost worth the energy saving to upgrade. If a person runs their
32 system 24/7, that is even more reason.
33
34 Dale
35