From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] router woes
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 08:32:44
1 On Wednesday 29 Mar 2017 08:45:33 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Tue, 28 Mar 2017 22:52:25 -0700, Jorge Almeida wrote:
3 > > PS. I still would like to know what people in this list think about
4 > > having an ISP managed device as router, re security. Not that I have
5 > > any real option if I want the contracted speed...
6 >
7 > It's more a privacy issue that security for me. I have a similar setup
8 > with a virgin cable router, which I set to what they call modem mode,
9 > where only one of the ports works and connects to my router. The one time
10 > I ran tech support they were able to see that I was using it this way and
11 > even reset the modem for me. I suppose it makes life easier for them and
12 > their typical customers, but it was a little unnerving.
13
14 Perhaps your 'modem mode' is a half-bridge set up with a public IP address and
15 they can still access it via WAN? Bear in mind the TR-069 daemons may still
16 be running no matter how you set up the router, unless you stop them manually.
17 I have a Huawei which I use in a fully bridged mode as a modem and have to
18 stop such services manually on every reboot, after I log into it with SSH.
19 --
20 Regards,
21 Mick