From: Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tmpfs for portage: how much?
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 21:34:59
1 Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 >> I would like to use tmpfs for all the package-compilation
4 >> to spare my SSD from too many writing-cycles, but I can not
5 >> guess how much do I need. I'm rather limited with RAM,
6 >> if I use more than 512MB for /var/tmp/portage...
7 >
8 > OMG, I was really over-optimistic! Even 2 GB tmpfs for
9 > /var/tmp/portage was not enough to re-compile gcc-4.7.3!
10
11 In case someone is interested, I created /var/tmp/portage
12 as 4GB-big tmpfs, and then recompilled @system. I checked
13 how much /var/tmp/portage space is needed for each pachage:
14
15 gcc-4.7.3-r1: ~2.4 GB
16 glibc-2.17: ~490 MB
17 perl-5.6.13: ~250 MB
18 binutils-2.23.2: ~300 MB
19
20 And a few from my @world:
21
22 php-5.5.7: ~540 MB
23 mysql-5.1.70: ~420 MB
24
25 Packages not listed needed less than 200MB and/or were
26 compiled fast and not recorded by my script (it checked
27 /var/tmp/portage every 5 seconds).
28
29 Jarry
33 This mailbox accepts e-mails only from selected mailing-lists!
34 Everything else is considered to be spam and therefore deleted.