From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] unable to emerge anything...
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 07:56:12
1 On Saturday 05 January 2008, Richard Torres wrote:
2 > Alan,
3 > Thanks for that. It's funny you should mention python, I just
4 > inadvertently unmerged it (doh...). I've got another gentoo box
5 > running a newer version of gcc and a newer kernel. Do you think I can
6 > get what I need out of it?
7
8 Yes, you should be able to use that. Python is SLOTted, so even if your
9 other box is using a different SLOT, you can emerge the version you
10 need, quickpkg it, copy it over to the first machine and unpack it
11 there.
12
13 quickpkg's are just tarballs so you can even use good old tar and
14 bunzip2 if you managed to go to the next step of dohness and unmerge
15 portage as well :-)
16
17 btw, how did you manage to unmerge python? That's in system and portage
18 usually goes to great lengths to prevent you doing just that
19
20 alan
24 > Thanks for your help,
25 > -Richard
26 >
27 > ----- Original Message ----
28 > From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
29 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
30 > Sent: Saturday, January 5, 2008 2:25:52 AM
31 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] unable to emerge anything...
32 >