From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM: extending volume groups and logical volumes
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 01:39:10
1 On Thu, Dec 15 2011, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
2
3 > I need to add space to /var (thank you, libreoffice), which is on lvm.
4 > Since my one volume group vg is getting low, I thought this would be a
5 > good time to extend it as well.
6 >
7 > Alan (McKinnon) has posted very helpful lvm bits (reprinted below).
8 > Following alan's bottom up creation mandate I believe the idea is
9
10 [snip]
11
12 1. Thank you dale for "rc single". This looks like what I have wanted
13 for a while, namely a replacement for single-user mode.
14
15 2. Everyone seems to agree that you really can enlarge a mounted
16 ext3 file system. I was going to try it except ...
17
18 3. I decided to use another suggestion (from neil) to use
19 PORTAGE_TMPDIR, roeleveld's idea of just using temporary space, and
20 Webb suggested /z for extra space.
21
22 So I made a normal linux ext3 partition on sda8, created the mount point
23 /mnt/junk and when needed mount sda8 on /mnt/junk and set PORTAGE_TMPDIR
24 accordingly.
25
26 One more thing. Some readers were suggesting I need 8 or so GB for
27 libreoffice. The failures occurred with 13GB. Today's /mnt/junk
28 success required 16GB. Fortunately sda8 has 50GB.
29
30 Thanks to all.
31 allan