From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: audio with TV crd
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 16:50:38
1 Uwe Thiem <uwix <at> iway.na> writes:
2
3 > how would I be able to record video *and* audio from the TV card
4 > into an MPEG2 file?
5
6 Hello Uwe,
7
8 In my experienes, you need to build a 'mixing studio' or at least
9 a very simple A/V mixing system. There are too many A/V tools to use.
10 I'd first look at the MoBo book and see what onboard hardware you have
11 plus 'lspci' -v and 'lshw'. Using the core mobo chips is usually the
12 most straightforward. Also look at what sound cards you have.
15 Then 'eix <keyword>' using mixer, audio, jack, alsa etc to
16 discover the various packages and try them out. Also use
17 google to search for <keywords> + <audio chips> where
18 audio chips are the actual chips you find on your hardware.
19
20 'kmix' is a quick and simple mixer that often provides control
21 over the various audio chips. You'll also have to rebuild your
22 kernel many times to find the right combo of drivers to compile
23 in and/or load as modules. Often the various audio chip drivers
24 conflict at the kernel, udev or application level. There is
25 no 'silver bullet' to build a mixer/mux for A/V, in my experience.
26 It all depends on what you need. Moving over old movies, one
27 of your greatest challenges will be keeping the audio and
28 video synchronized over the duration of the recorded stream.
31 hth,
32
33 James
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list