From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: After /usr conflation: why not copy booting software to /sbin rather than initramfs?
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 00:36:59
1 On Apr 3, 2012 7:26 AM, "Dale" <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
4 > > On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 5:21 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > >> Neil Bothwick wrote:
6 > >>> zgrep DEVTMP /proc/config.gz
7 > >>
8 > >>
9 > >> Ooops, it sort of snipped a bit much. lol Here you go:
10 > >>
11 > >> root@fireball / # zgrep DEVTMP /proc/config.gz
12 > >> # CONFIG_DEVTMPFS is not set
13 > >> root@fireball / #
14 > >>
15 > >> Looks like a nope to me. ;-)
16 > >
17 > > That was the reason for asking for your /usr/src/linux/.config file.
18 > > The udev ebuild ask for:
19 > >
20 > > CONFIG_CHECK="~BLK_DEV_BSG ~DEVTMPFS ~HOTPLUG ~INOTIFY_USER ~NET
21 > > ~PROC_FS ~SIGNALFD ~SYSFS ~!IDE ~!SYSFS_DEPRECATED
22 > > ~!SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2"
23 > >
24 > > The dracut ebuild ask for:
25 > >
26 > > CONFIG_CHECK="~BLK_DEV_INITRD ~DEVTMPFS ~MODULES"
27 > >
28 > > So please check that you have all those options (and don't have the
29 > > ones with !), recompile your kernel, and reboot.
30 > >
31 > > Also, the divergence between /boot/kernel... and (hd0,0)/kernel... in
32 > > your grub could be causing funny things. Check that also.
33 > >
34 > > Regards.
37 > OK. I hate modules. Can they be built into the kernel? The only
38 > module I have is nvidia for my video card.
39 >
40 > Also, if you can put this in one email, what about the /dev line in fstab?
41 >
42 > I didn't check the ebuild but I don't recall seeing anything when I
43 > emerged dracut either. o_O Maybe we are on to something here. ^_O
46 AFAIK DEVTMPFS is not a module. You either turn it on or off. Of course,
47 you'll need a whole-kernel compile, but that's it.
48
49 If you use menuconfig, IIRC there's another option right under DEVTMPFS'
50 one that offers to mount devtmpfs on boot. If you turn that on, you *might*
51 get away without a /dev in fstab.
52
53 Rgds,