From: Roy Wright <roy@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dispatch-conf merge
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 05:34:58
1 On Jun 3, 2009, at 12:21 AM, Graham Murray wrote:
2
3 > Is there any way to improve the granularity in the merge function of
4 > dispatch-conf, or make it more intelligent?
5 >
6 > The particular situation where it gives me problems is in
7 > configuration
8 > files where the value of an option has been manually changed following
9 > initial installation, then on an upgrade a new option is added close
11 > the one previously changed. In this situation, dispatch-conf almost
12 > invariably wants to reset the changed option line back to its default.
13 > When selecting 'm' to merge changes it will present a left hand side
14 > with the already existing value (often plus other lines) with the
15 > right
16 > hand side with the default lines for both the existing line(s) and the
17 > new ones.
20 My habit when manually tweaking a config file is to copy the line then
21 comment
22 out the original, like:
23
24 original:
25
26 foo=some default
27
28 changed to:
29
30 #foo=some default
31 foo=bar
32
33 this seems to help dispatch-conf some.
34
35 For really ugly merges, I just skip in dispatch-conf, then merge using
36 kdiff3.
37
38 HTH,
39 Roy