From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Apache2 "generating secret" takes a long time
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 17:51:23
1 > > Apache2 used to stop and start for me very quickly, but in the last
2 > > few days I've noticed it takes a very long time to start. It seems to
3 > > be hanging on:
4 > >
5 > > Digest: generating secret for digest authentication ...
6 > >
7 > > although it does eventually move on and everything works fine. Does
8 > > anyone know why this might have changed? I update all packages on my
9 > > system daily so there may have been a package change that did it.
10 >
11 > You're running out of entropy so apache is waiting on /dev/random to
12 > gain more entropy.
13 >
14 > There's several different ways to fix this including:
15 >
16 > 1. Use a hardware RNG (random number generator), some chipsets provide
17 > that but you need to enable support in the kernel.
18 > 2. emerge apr with USE=urandom. This makes apr use /dev/urandom instead
19 > of /dev/random. urandom isn't as strong cryptographically speaking as
20 > random but might be good enough for your use.
21 > 3. Disable digest authentication in the apache configuration.
22 > 4. Use some entropy gathering daemon like sys-apps/clrngd,
23 > media-sound/sound-entropyd or media-video/video-entropyd.
24 >
25 > Hope this helps.
26 >
27 > Regards,