From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] fc-cache
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 03:59:43
1 Hi,
2
3 I came accross a certain "behaviour" of my Linux I cannot explain
4 and I would like to change if possible,
5
6 I use Icewm and X.org as desktop environment.
7
8 Ending my work with a command like
9
10 sudo halt
11
12 from a terminal window results in no problem at all.
13
14 But:
15
16 When I do something like:
17
18 aunpack mysourceproject.tar.7z; cd mysourceproject; \
19 ./configure && make && make install; sudo halt
20
21 switch off my monitor and go to sleep, cause this will run for an
22 hour, and start my box next morning again, all fonts, which are
23 defined via xorg.conf are displayed in a very tine shape. Not affected
24 are fonts used by mutt/vim/mrxvt and other "text-only" applications.
25
26 I have to do a
27
28 fc-cache
29
30 as root, restart Icewm/X and the problem is fixed.
31
32 But what is the reason for this?
33
34 And what is the difference between doing a
35
36 sudo halt
37
38 while sitting in front of my monitor and doing a
39
40 sudo halt
41
42 unattended in a kind of batch job?
43
44 What is the correct place to define a custom command to
45 run on every system start (fc-cache in this case)?
46
47 Thank you very much in advance for any help!
48
49 Best regards
50 mcc
54 Please don't send me any Word- or Powerpoint-Attachments
55 unless it's absolutely neccessary. - Send simply Text.
56 See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
57 In a world without fences and walls nobody needs gates and windows.